Cebu Pacific (CEB) will resume its four-times weekly
Manila-Catarman flights starting June 2, 2009 after airport safety issues had
been addressed by airport and local authorities.
“The runway has been cleared of vehicles and people 24/7. This is our green
light to fly again to Catarman and bring back CEB’s affordable fares that other
airlines must again try to match,” Candice Iyog, CEB vice president for
marketing and distribution, said.
Iyog said airport safety had been improved after additional security
personnel were deployed on the runway and the perimeter fence put up is ongoing.
“Airport authorities have also blocked the entry points around the airport’s
perimeter fence used by residents,” Iyog said.
Local authorities said they were committed to beef up the facility’s safety
by removing encroaching residential structures.
CEB praised the efforts of CAAP and Local Authorities who worked closely with
CEB’s Safety Department to address the issues at Catarman promptly and
CEB early this month suspended its Manila-Catarman service despite its full
loads after several runway intrusions by both people and vehicles during
“Safety remains to be a priority for CEB and we will not compromise this over
revenues or loads.” Iyog added.
After CEB temporarily suspended its operations in Catarman, other airlines
operating this route started charging as much as P5,000 per way.
“CEB remains steadfast in our commitment to provide travelers from Catarman
an affordable, reliable, and high-quality air transport service. The public can
expect that whether we have competition or none, we will continue to offer the
lowest possible airfares in Catarman and in other destinations where we
currently operate,” Iyog concluded.
Now on its 14th year, CEB is now Asia’s 3rd largest low-fare carrier and
flies to 14 international cities and 32 domestic destinations with the addition
of Cauayan (Isabela) starting next month.